Whitepaper published by H2 Energy and Trafigura: Decarbonising heavy-duty trucking and accelerating the European hydrogen economy
10 November 2021 - Green hydrogen business developer H2 Energy and Trafigura Group Pte Ltd (“Trafigura”), a market leader in the global commodities industry, have today published a whitepaper to coincide with Transport Day at the COP26 climate talks taking place in Glasgow, United Kingdom.
The whitepaper calls for governments to act quickly on a range of policy measures to incentivise private sector investment and kick-start zero-emission hydrogen trucking ecosystems across Europe.
- Low-carbon hydrogen is a clean, versatile and powerful fuel with the potential to replace fossil fuels in a range of applications, including in hard‑to‑abate sectors such as heavy-duty transport and industry.
- Heavy-duty trucking is an optimal sector for the introduction of low-carbon hydrogen, as it offers the lowest marginal cost of abatement.
- Converting 10 percent of the diesel truck fleet in Europe to hydrogen fuel cell trucks could avoid up to 40 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year.
- The development of low-carbon hydrogen supply and infrastructure ecosystem for trucking would act as a catalyst to accelerate the growth of the wider hydrogen economy.
- The whitepaper identifies some of the policy support measures that could effectively kick-start zero-emission hydrogen trucking ecosystems.
- Both CapEx and OpEx support is required from governments to enable the rapid adoption of hydrogen trucking.
Download a copy of the whitepaper here.
For further information, please contact:
Trafigura Press Office: +41 (0) 22 592 45 28 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About H2 Energy
H2 Energy was established in Zurich, Switzerland, in 2014 with the vision to fight climate change. Its core business consists of providing (directly or through its subsidiaries) worldwide hydrogen system solutions and engineering work in the field of fuel cell and hydrogen applications. This includes the development, implementation and operation of ecosystems that are based on green hydrogen. The activities of H2 Energy always have a commercial focus and are executed either independently or through investments in or partnership with other companies which share H2 Energy’s vision and ambitions.
In 2020, Trafigura and H2 Energy announced a commercial collaboration to develop the production, storage and distribution of green hydrogen for refuelling stations and industrial customers. Under the joint venture H2 Energy Europe, the two companies will invest in green hydrogen ecosystems across Europe.
Founded in 1993, Trafigura is one of the largest physical commodities trading groups in the world. Trafigura sources, stores, transports and delivers a range of raw materials (including oil and refined products and metals and minerals) to clients around the world and has recently established a power and renewables business division.
The trading business is supported by industrial and financial assets, including a majority ownership of global zinc and lead producer Nyrstar which has mining, smelting and other operations located in Europe, Americas and Australia; a significant shareholding in global oil products storage and distribution company Puma Energy; global terminals, warehousing and logistics operator Impala Terminals; Trafigura’s Mining Group; and Galena Asset Management.
With circa. 850 shareholders, Trafigura is owned by its employees. Over 8,500 employees work in 48 countries around the world. Trafigura has achieved substantial growth over recent years, growing revenue from USD12 billion in 2003 to USD147 billion in 2020. The Group has been connecting its customers to the global economy for more than two decades, growing prosperity by advancing trade.